Chloe

Ethan

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, October 08, 2004

I recently watched two movies on DVD. I liked one of them a lot. But the other, I didn't. I'll talk about the one I didn't like first so that I can end this blog entry with a more cheerful note later.

What was the point of "Passion Of The Christ"? Besides raking in millions at the box office, what did Mel Gibson try to accomplish by making this film? Was there a "for the record" statement that he wanted to make? Or did he want to point fingers at a certain group of people for the sufferings that Jesus endured? I am not a religious person. I do not have a religious background. I'm not sure if it's my lack of biblical knowledge that prevented me from appreciating this film. To me, it was merely a gruesome portrayal of the torture cast upon one man. I saw it as two hours worth of a whip-by-whip, nail-by-nail account of the sufferings of Jesus Christ. Do people, followers or not, need such a graphic depiction of this biblical event in order to appreciate Jesus' sacrifice for mankind? There is a growing argument that the material carried on the mainstream media is becoming too violent and/or graphic for the good of the audience. This film feeds into that argument completely. For that, I didn't appreciate this film.

Unlike "Passion Of The Christ", I really enjoyed watching "Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind". The plot is about a man wanting to erase the memories of his ex-girlfriend. But during the procedure he changes his mind and a struggle to hang on to the memories ensues. Rolling Stone calls it "a smart, sexy, and seriously funny comedy" and I totally agree. It's smart because of the complexity and uniqueness of the script. It's sexy because of the bizarre romance shared by the characters. It's serious because of the heartbreak that was experienced by the characters but felt by viewers. It's funny because of all the lighthearted dialogue and witty images. Writer Charlie Kaufman wrote this unique love story and director Michel Gondry immaculately transferred it onto film. Gondry created beautiful visuals to carry the story along. He accomplished this not with fancy special effects, but simply with creative camera angles and transitions. The success of this film owes very much to Gondry's creative visions. The acting in this film cannot be slighted either. Jim Carry and Kate Winslet deserve much praise for succeeding in roles they don't normally play. Overall, this is an excellent movie. I recommend it to all.


No comments: