Chloe

Ethan

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, June 23, 2004

I have a friend visiting from out of town this week. So I've been playing hostess and showing him around. So far we've been to Fisherman's Wharf, the Coit Tower, Ghiradelli Square, the Haight/Ashbury district, and the Napa Valley wineries. Next we're targeting either a cruise on the Bay or a night tour to Alcatraz Island.

I have to say, as a regular resident of the Bay Area, I wouldn't be doing some of these things or going to some of these places if I wasn't taking a visitor around. Fisherman's Wharf? Coit Tower? Alcatraz? These are tourist traps. They're for tourists only. BUT...as I went to these places with him, I suddenly felt like a tourist myself. Suddenly I felt like I AM on vacation and I AM sightseeing. It's amazing. Maybe it's because I don't go to these places often, if at all. Therefore in a way they seemed new and fresh to me. At a gift shop in Fisherman's Wharf, I found myself fascinated by those pendants containing a grain of rice with your name engraved on it. I actually wanted to buy one. Even though I didn't buy it, this shows how deep of a "touristy mode" I was in to be fascinated by things in a gift shop.

My friend is in town for another 3 days. That's how much longer my role as a tour guide will last. I should really thank my friend for visiting and bringing on this sudden pseudo vacation for me. If only I didn't have to work this week as all this is happening. But of course, that's too much to ask.

1 comment:

TJ said...

I completely understand how acting as a tour guide makes you feel like a tourist too! There are some places that you don't bother going to because it's always there. However going around the town makes you appreciate the city and all of its attractions more!