Chloe

Ethan

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, February 18, 2004

My applause to San Francisco for issuing marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples. This is another much needed step towards equality for all. But is it true that the mayor may have overstepped his boundaries in ordering this proceeding? If it is, then I rather he had not done it. It's one thing to allow equal rights to all. But it's another to go about doing it in improper ways.

Politics have never been my forte. I am in the dark about its workings. Hence I have no idea what the political, maybe even legal, ramifications are surrounding this event. But I do know that the game of politics has its rules and procedures, e.g. propose bills, get them passed, then execute them. As a civilized society, it is important for us to follow procedures such as these. Otherwise what's the point of having rules and regulations at all? So if the mayor did misuse his powers in inducing this event, I'd rather he follow the proper procedures. That may take much more time, effort, and money to accomplish, but at least we wouldn't be criticized for it. Opponents of this unprecedented event call this a type of "lawlessness and civil disobedience". That just takes away from the joy and pride that are associated with this worthy cause.

No comments: